The DevCenter has moved!

The Developer Center has a new home, developer.ektron.com. The site you are currently viewing is available as a read-only archive.
Things to note:
  1. Your username & password is the same on the new site, developer.ektron.com
  2. Going forward, please use the new URL, developer.ektron.com
  3. The old discussion forums and old KB articles are still available as an archive (read-only)
RSS Feed Print Category View
Google Analytics Sample Data Provider String
Steve Charles
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:27 AM

Can someone please provide me with a sample Google Analytics Data Provider string for the v8 web.config? The Ektron manual uses phrases like "ProfileID - The Google Analytics Profile ID you obtained in Step 2."  We already have our Google Analytics account set up, so we didn't go through the steps that Ektron provided for creating one. I don't remember what "Step 2" was and which information it provided.

A sample string would go much further in demonstrating things like "Do you put the 'http://' at the beginning of the Site URL string? Etc.

Thanks!

EktronCecilia
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:05 AM

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will forward the following sample of Google Analytics Data Provider string to the documentation. 

< AnalyticsDataProvider defaultProvider="Google" >
    < providers >
      < add name="Google" type="Ektron.Cms.Analytics.Data.Providers.GoogleAnalyticsProvider, Ektron.Cms.BusinessObjects" Username="[Encrypted gmailAddress@gmail.com]" Password="[Encrypted password]" ProfileId="1234567" SiteURL="www.yourdomain.com UserAccount="UA-123456-1" GoogleAnalyticsTrackingCodePath="Analytics\template\googletrackingcode.ascx" / >
    < /providers >
  < /AnalyticsDataProvider >

If you go to your Dashboard in your Google Analytics at google.com, at the address bar, the "&id=" value in the URL would be your ProfileId assigned by Google.

When you visit your Google Analytics "Analytics Settings" page at google.com, the "UA-xxxxxx-x" string next to your site domain is the UserAccount assigned by Google.

SiteURL should not include any protocol such as "http://".

Username and Password need to be encrypted by Ektron's EncryptEmailPassword executable. You can find the tool at [Program Files]\Ektron\CMS400v80\Utilities\EncryptEmailPassword.exe in your server.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Regards,

Cecilia

Steve Charles
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:23 AM

Perfect! This is exactly what I needed! I made a few tweaks based on this example and it's now working!

Thank you, also, for the quick reply!

Steve

Korolenko
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 2:25 PM

You don't put quotes around the url? I find when I don't that I get a .net error. When I do, I'm getting "The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden." so I'm not sure what I'm messing up here.
EktronCecilia
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 2:51 PM

Hi Korolenko,

I apologize for the confusion. There should be quotes around the SiteURL. I have corrected it in the sample.

So, could you please describe more about your error. I believe the 403 error is returned from the Google server. That your google gmail address and/password is not correct.

Would you like to send my a private message on how your configuration looks like?

Regards,

Cecilia

Juan
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 3:29 PM

I got the 403 error because my username and password had not been encrypted using the "Encrypt Email Password" utility.
EktronCecilia
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 3:31 PM

Hi Juan,

Thanks for your input. I have also updated my samples in the previous post.

Thanks and regards

Cecilia

TeriM
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 4:09 PM

Hi Cecilia -- I am trying to get my Google Analytics account set up and I have read through your instructions; however, I am getting the following message after putting in the required data in the web.config.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Provider must implement the class 'Ektron.Cms.Analytics.Providers.AnalyticsDataProvider'.

Source Error:

Line 166:    <providers>
Line 167:      <add name="Google"
Line 168:           type="Ektron.Cms.Analytics.Providers.AnalyticsDataProviderConfiguration,Ektron.Cms.BusinessObjects"

Source File:

D:\inetpub\wwwroot\domains\staging.compustatresources.com\wwwpub\web.config    Line: 168

EktronCecilia
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 4:43 PM

Hi TeriM,

What is your CMS version?

Could you try changing your type to "Ektron.Cms.Analytics.Providers.GoogleAnalyticsProvider, Ektron.Cms.BusinessObjects" from "Ektron.Cms.Analytics.Providers.AnalyticsDataProviderConfiguration,Ektron.Cms.BusinessObjects "?

Let me know.

Regards,

Cecilia

TeriM
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2010 6:54 PM

Hi Cecilia,

Thanks for your quick reply.  I will try the fix tomorrow and let you know as I am unable to get onto the ftp right at the moment.

TeriM

TeriM
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 12:07 PM

Hi again Cecilia,

I tried the fix you recommended above and now I am getting:

"The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden"

Do you think I should just log a ticket with Ektron support?

Thanks once again, Teri

EktronCecilia
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 12:47 PM

Hi TeriM,

Could you please confirm that your gmail address and your password are encrypted by Ektron's EncryptEmailPassword?

If that is correct, do you mind sending me a private message on how your < AnalyticsDataProvider defaultProvider="Google" >  tag looks like in your web.config?

Thanks and regards

Cecilia

wbr
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:51 PM

Fantastic, works great. Thanks!
Kevin Leclair
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:47 PM

I have followed the example but I keep getting this error:

"The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized."

What could the problem be?

EktronCecilia
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:53 PM

Hi Kevin,

Usually when you get the 401 error, it means that you do not have the correct username password. We required administrator to insert the encrypted gmail address (as the username) and the encrypted gmail password in the web.config. Could you double checked if they are encrypted?

Also, are you able to get the Google analytics report using the same gmail address/password at your http://analytics.google.com ?

Regards,

Cecilia

Kevin Leclair
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 7:43 AM

Yes they are encryted I used the tool described above to do this.

Yes I can login fine via the actual website.

EktronCecilia
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 8:47 AM

Hi Kevin,

Perhaps this other forum thread help.

http://dev.ektron.com/forum.aspx?boardid=74&__taxonomyid=286&g=posts&page=-1&t=29757

Otherwise, you might consider to get Ektron support to help.

Regards,

Cecilia

Kevin Leclair
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 9:04 AM

That was it, thanks!
EktronCecilia
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 9:57 AM

Thanks for the update, Kevin. I am glad you have it resolved.

Have a great day.

Cecilia

TONSIR
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 11:12 AM

I have a semi-related question. I have the analytics data provider string set in my web.config and it does not cause any errors. My problems is that I do not see the javascript tracking code on any of my pages and google is not reporting any traffic. I checked the ek_AutoInsertBeaconScript tag and it is set to "true". What am I missing??

Thanks,
TONSIR

Version: 8.00 SP1
(Build 8.0.0.128)

EktronCecilia
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 11:39 AM

Hi TONSIR,

I have a few questions.

1) Do you have the UserAccount and GoogleAnalyticsTrackingCodePath in the web.config? 2) Do you have the "suppressBeacon" key in web.config?

3) Do you have an Ektron server control on the page that you are looking for GA JavaScript?

Thanks and regards,

Cecilia

MJ22
Posted: Friday, May 7, 2010 3:10 PM

Hi Cecilia(or anyone)- Can you tell me what server control I need to insert into my main.master to get the javascript code appearing? Is the server control in the Workarea/Analytics folder? I have the connection all setup to Google, but I'm not getting the javascript code inserted so I'm not collecting data.

Thanks for your help,

Melissa

EktronCecilia
Posted: Friday, May 7, 2010 3:30 PM

Hi Melissa,

You should have the beacon script inserted to the page for any Ektron Server controls (for example, ContentBlock, Form Block, menu, login etc.).

Regards,

Cecilia

dyanarose
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 4:47 AM

hiya,

you may need to make sure that the analytics and the beacon is enabled in your web.config:

<add key="enableAnalytics" value="true"/>

<add key="ek_AutoInsertBeaconScript" value="true"/>

TONSIR
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:35 AM

Hi Cecilia,

Sorry for the delay in responding but I had lost the link to this thread/WorkArea/threadeddisc/emoticons/tongueout.png.

1) Yes, I do have the UserAccount and GoogleAnalyticsTrackingCodePath set in the web.config.

2) No, I do not have suppressBeacon in the web.config.

3) Yes, there are one or more Ektron server controls on the pages I am looking at.

Thanks,

TONSIR

(Build 8.0.0.128)

Robert Klingel
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:25 PM

Was there any resolution to TONSIR's issue?

I appear to have the exact same problem:

(Build 8.0.0.128)

Google analytics provider setup in web.config and I am able to access it from the workarea but no google code is being injected into the page so no tracking is occuring.

ek_AutoInsertBeaconScript is true and so is enableAnalytics.

Thanks,

Bob

Bill C.
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:17 PM

Robert Klingel, TONSIL - Check out step 7 here:

http://ew.ly/3jPC

Check out the SiteURL param values.

"The SiteURL needs to match the development site URL when you test in your development environment. For example, if the site path is http://MyDevMachine/default.aspx SiteURLMyDevMachine, the attribute needs to be. If there is no match, the Google beacon is not inserted onto your page."

Robert Klingel
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 8:27 PM

I have verified that they are matching.  Any other things to check?
TONSIR
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 11:17 AM

Hi Robert,

Here's a few more things to check;

• In the SiteURL parameter in web.config put in your url without the http (i.e. mydomain.com vs. http://mydomain.com).
  • Make sure that SiteUrl in web.config matches website url in google profile (although I found that the google url wants the http - go figure).
  • Not sure if it makes a difference but I ended up specifying the site url without the "www" in web.config and google.
  • Make sure you have the correct default page specified in google profile.
  • The UserAccount parameter in web.config needs to match the google acct number (it's typically something like "UA-999999999-1").
  • Try it on a blank page with a single Ektron content block.

I finally got mine to work although now I have a situation where on some pages the google code includes the acct# and in some it doesn't.  The fun never ends...

Good luck!

TONSIR

(Build 8.0.0.128)

mcoulter
Posted: Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:04 PM

OK, I'm trying to set this up on my site and have run into the "The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden." problem.

I have verified that i've done the basics correctly, but it's still not working for me.  Two things make me wonder if my situation is different:

1) the google username I use (and enter encrypted) is not based on a gmail email account.  a long time ago I changed account to not use gmail in the username.  (I have no problem logging in to the real analytics site using this this username/password.)

2) I have had the GA tracking code on my page template for a long time.  Certainly once I get this working, I will remove it from my aspx template, but for now during my testing period I would like to leave it.

***  A day later the error went away and data is now showing up!  Maybe it takes a day or so for this to "spin-up"?  ***

Any suggestions would be great before I submit a formal support ticket on this.

++ using Version: 8.01 SP2(Build 8.0.1.087) ++

-- Can Ektron please fix the line breaks and paragraphs in the forum postings??

Matteo
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 2:46 AM

Hallo, I've read all the posts and although I've done everything suggested I'm still receiving the error: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.

- Version: 8.01 SP1(Build 8.0.1.087)

- username and password had been encrypted using the "Encrypt Email Password" utility

- ProfileId / SiteURL / UserAccount match the info on our Analytics account

- the web.config looks configured correctly

- I do not have suppressBeacon in the web.config

- there are more than one Ektron server controls on all the pages where I've inserted the Google JS code (inserted in a master page)

Any other suggestion?

Thank you

M.

eGandalf
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 11:34 AM

Hi Matteo,

Your firewall needs to allow the server to access Google Analytics.

Matteo
Posted: Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:13 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED, now GA it's working fine.

I've tried the solution from a different post where it was explained not to use Google User Account ID but User Profile ID.

Thx

M.

Jump to different Forum...